Tuesday, December 7, 2010

12 Days of Christmas: Day 4- Hammered Aluminum Art Book

Welcome back to 12 Days of Christmas everyone! Today I am sharing a gift item that I have made. You all know, if you've followed my blog for very long, that I LOVE repurposing old hardback book covers and making new books out of them. Well, I decided to do it yet again and make a mini art/sketch book for my daughter.

But, I do have a surprise for you. As a thanks for being patient with me while I skipped out on my last project to spend time with my hubby, I've made a tutorial for my hammered aluminum technique! You'll see the technique in today's project, and if you want to learn how to do it, you can find the instructions on our new and improving (since we're not done yet) Tutorial Page on the Smeared and Smudged Forum. Just go there and click the button that says Hammered Aluminum; it'll show you how to do the strip and flower.

Now on to the book...
*click for larger pics








After recovering my book cover with deco paper, I used our Inky Dreams stamp set from Smeared Ink to stamp my background ink blotches in acrylic paint. I used some pearl-ex powder all around the edges of the book. I then added the hammered aluminum strip down the front, my feathers, wire, and flower embellishment. The last step was to add in my new journal block. I've included a pic of the back also so you can see how awesome the background stamp is!

I can't wait to see the look on my daughter's face when she sees this, cause I know she'll love it! And I hope you get some ideas for your own projects after you see my tutorial. Now, hop on over to the rest of the Jolly Bloggers by following the links in my sidebar to get some more fabulous 12 Days inspiration.

15 comments:

  1. Oh wow that's gorgeous! I can't wait to go chek out that tutorial. Your daughter will LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crow this is awesome!!! I will def check out that tut! What a kick a** book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUDE! That's awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on that stamp set...I saw my shipping status yesterday, YAY!...AND, Thanks for the tutorial, because you know I was going to ask anyway! She is going to LOVE this! I really like the purple wire, it was a nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic job! thank you for the tutorial! I love new tips and tricks

    ReplyDelete
  5. altered books are awesome! I think your colour choices are sensational and yes it's going to be a big hit with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! If she doesn't like it, I'll gladly take it! Thanks for the tutorial. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow stunning she will love it fantastic work
    Luv Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is GORGEOUS!!!! I love the purple and will have to go scope out the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, Terra! this is so awesomely beautiful I'm speechless! Gotta go check out the tut! Thanks! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so cool! I'm so glad I kept my coke cans! thank you for sharing your awesome-ness

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terra, this is so lovely...
    I have to take a look to your tutorial too :)

    Do you have this "splashing ink" -stamp on youre store? :o

    I need it!!! :)

    Hugs,
    Anna

    ps) Waiting email.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh terra...this is MAGNANIMOUS!!!! GORGEOUS, STUNNING and SOOOOOOOOOO just...beyond amazing...

    you are a constant source of inspiration!!

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your daughter will love her new sketch book. Thank you so much for making a tutorial for us, I may have to make one for me. Inky Dreams is such a cool collection. TFS, Di

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for the turtorial! i love this book!!!! the flower is crazy awesome!

    ReplyDelete